- 2 pounds (1kg) boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2–inch steaks, or 3 pounds (1.3kg) bone-in beef short ribs
- 20 ounces carrots, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 quart water
- 1 bouquet garni boullion
- 2 Kub Or bullions
- 1 cup (7 ounces; 200g) pearled barley
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) fish sauce
Add onion and garlic with half of carrot and celery to pot and cook, stirring until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add stock and boullion to pot, return to boiling.
Score the beef shortribs into bite-sized pieces and add to pot. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to maintain a low simmer and cook until beef is tender, 1 to 2 hours; skim any foam that rises to the top.
Add barley, other half of vegetables, and fish sauce, if using, and simmer until barley and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. If soup is too dry, top up with water to achieve desired consistency.
Modified from original recipe