3 large ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, chopped
1/2 cups sugar
1.5 cups heavy cream
0.5 cups 1% or 2% milk
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Cook peaches in a covered saucepan on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until soft and not watery. Add sugar and salt. Let mixture cool to room temperature. Purée mixture in blender with remaining ingredients (leave some chunks if desired).
Whisk mixture with heavy cream and milk. Chill the mixture overnight, then churn for 20 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced carrot
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- ¾ pound meatloaf mix or 1/4 pound each ground beef chuck, ground veal, and ground pork
- ½ teaspoon Table salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup dry red wine
- (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, packed in juice, chopped fine, with juice reserved
Makes 3 cups for 1lb pasta
Don’t drain the pasta of its cooking water too meticulously when using this sauce; a little water left clinging to the noodles will help distribute the very thick sauce evenly into the noodles, as will adding an extra 2 tablespoons of butter along with the sauce. Top each serving with a little grated Parmesan and pass extra grated cheese at the table. If doubling this recipe, increase the simmering times for the milk and the wine to 30 minutes each, and the simmering time once the tomatoes are added to 4 hours.
- Heat butter in large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion, carrot, and celery and sautè until softened but not browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add ground meat and 1/2 teaspoon salt; crumble meat with edge of wooden spoon to break apart into tiny pieces. Cook, continuing to crumble meat, just until it loses its raw color but has not yet browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add wine and bring to simmer; continue to simmer until wine evaporates, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add milk and bring to simmer; continue to simmer until milk evaporates and only clear fat remains, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juice and bring to simmer; reduce heat to low so that sauce continues to simmer just barely, with an occasional bubble or two at the surface, until liquid has evaporated, about 3 hours.
- Adjust seasonings with extra salt to taste and serve. (Can be refrigerated in an airtight container for several days or frozen for several months. Warm over low heat before serving.)
- 1 packed cup parsley leaves
- 1 packed cup mixed herbs, such as chives, mint, dill, basil or cilantro
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon, zested and halved
- ½ cup whole-milk yogurt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
Puree in blender. Serve or store covered.