5 cups liquid :: 2.5 cups pasta
Liquid can be mix of wine, broth, cream.
Simmer over high for 10-12 mins.
- 1 pound Italian (or any kind of ground) sausage – removed from casing
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2-4 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2-4 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 lb pound dried great Northern beans, rinsed and picked through, soaked 3-10 hours
- 6 cups water or broth
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 4 thyme sprigs + 2 large rosemary sprig tied together in a bundle with kitchen twine
- 2 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high. Add the sausage and brown until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a separate bowl.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Remove half of veggies to the bowl with the sauage (you will re-add it at the end, so veggies aren’t mushy). Add the tomato paste and cumin to the pot. Cook, stirring, until dark golden, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, 6 cups broth/water, salt, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf. Instant Pot high for 30 minutes, natural release.
- Re-add reserved veggies and sausage. High pressure for 5 minutes.
- Optional: puree a cup of beans for thicker stew texture.
- Stir in the vinegar and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Ladle into warm bowls and serve drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
Adjustments for Canned Beans
- 2.5 cans (36 oz) canned beans, preferably white, chickpea or kidney, drained and rinsed
- In step 3, do not add the canned beans. Add the canned beans in step 4.
- Add 4 cups of water/broth at first, up to 6 cups, since canned beans do not absorb water
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch ground cinnamon
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Prepare a marinade for the chicken. Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon and red pepper flakes in a large bowl, then whisk to combine. Add the chicken and toss well to coat. Cover and store in refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours. Turn chicken halfway during marinade.
Add everything to Instant Pot. 8 minutes high pressure, then natural release 15 minutes.
Serve with yogurt sauce:
Mix 1/2 cup plain or Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup mayo, 1/2 lemon juiced + lemon zest, 1 minced garlic in a bowl. Optionally, add minced fresh herbs (basil, chive, etc.). Cover. Chill for 4-5 hours.
For steeping cream
- 2 ¼ cups half-and-half
- 2 medium cloves garlic (8g), smashed
- 2 small shallots (110g total), quartered
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons (6g) whole black peppercorns
- 1 ¼ teaspoons table salt
In a small saucepan, combine cream, milk, garlic, shallots, nutmeg, thyme, peppercorns, and salt. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat, cover, and let steep for 1 hour.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick or less
- Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Rub bottom and sides of 5- to 6-cup gratin dish or shallow baking dish with a garlic clove. Once garlic in dish has dried, about 2 minutes, spread dish with half the butter.
- Bring steeped half-and-half and potatoes to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with wooden spoon (liquid will just barely cover potatoes). Reduce heat and simmer until liquid thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Pour potato mixture into prepared dish; shake dish or use fork to distribute potatoes evenly. Gently press down potatoes until submerged in liquid; dot with remaining butter.
- Bake until top is golden brown (basting once or twice during first 45 minutes) about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- For a more pronounced crust, sprinkle three tablespoons of heavy cream or grated Gruyère cheese on top of the potatoes after forty-five minutes of baking. Let rest 5 minutes and serve.