- 2 pounds (1kg) boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2–inch steaks, or 3 pounds (1.3kg) bone-in beef short ribs
- 20 ounces carrots, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 quart water
- 1 bouquet garni boullion
- 2 Kub Or bullions
- 1 cup (7 ounces; 200g) pearled barley
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) fish sauce
Add onion and garlic with half of carrot and celery to pot and cook, stirring until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add stock and boullion to pot, return to boiling.
Score the beef shortribs into bite-sized pieces and add to pot. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to maintain a low simmer and cook until beef is tender, 1 to 2 hours; skim any foam that rises to the top.
Add barley, other half of vegetables, and fish sauce, if using, and simmer until barley and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. If soup is too dry, top up with water to achieve desired consistency.
Modified from original recipe
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon finely minced thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed and scrubbed clean
Marinade for 30 minutes in a ziploc bag.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup Dashi broth
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 Tbsp (~1″) Nagaimo (long yam), grated (use gloves)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp soy sauce
- ~12-14 oz. cabbage, chopped fine
- 1/2 pack enoki mushrooms, 1/2″ dice
- 1/4 lb. bacon, 1/2″ dice
- 1 cup shrimp, peeled and diced into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 green onions, chopped fine
- Okonomiyaki sauce or Tonkatsu sauce
- dried bonito flakes
- diced dried seaweed
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, Dashi, salt and soy sauce together until smooth. Stir egg and yam to flour mixture.
- In a small skillet, cook the bacon over medium low heat until cooked, but not browned. Quickly cook the shrimp until just translucent. Drain and cool slightly.
- Add cabbage, enoki, bacon and shrimp to the batter and mix well.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat. Oil well.
- For an 8″ pancake 1.5cm thick, fry for 5-7 minutes until golden brown. For a 4-5″ pancake 1cm thick, fry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Flip and fry for the same amount of time until golden brown.
- Spread with Okonomiyaki sauce and mayo. Sprinkle green onions, dried green seaweed, dried bonito flakes over the pancake. Serve hot.
Makes 6 4-5″ pancakes or 3 8″ pancakes.