- 1 pound Italian (or any kind of ground) sausage – removed from casing
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2-4 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2-4 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 lb pound dried great Northern beans, rinsed and picked through, soaked 3-10 hours
- 6 cups water or broth
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 4 thyme sprigs + 2 large rosemary sprig tied together in a bundle with kitchen twine
- 2 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high. Add the sausage and brown until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a separate bowl.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cumin to the pot. Cook, stirring, until dark golden, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, 6 cups broth/water, salt, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the beans are tender, about 2 hours, adding more water if needed to make sure the beans remain submerged.
- When beans are tender, return the sausage to the pot. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Optional: puree a cup of beans for thicker stew texture.
- Stir in the vinegar and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Ladle into warm bowls and serve drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
Adjustments for Instant Pot
- Remove half of veggies before adding tomato paste and cumin. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add veggies with tomato paste and cumin, beans, broth, herbs, salt into Instant Pot. High Pressure 30 minutes with natural release.
- Add reserved veggies and sausage. High Press 5 minutes.
Adjustments for Canned Beans
- 2.5 cans (36 oz) canned beans, preferably white, chickpea or kidney, drained and rinsed
- In step 3, only simmer gently for 30 minutes
- Add 4 cups of water/broth at first, up to 6 cups, since canned beans do not absorb water
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch ground cinnamon
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Prepare a marinade for the chicken. Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon and red pepper flakes in a large bowl, then whisk to combine. Add the chicken and toss well to coat. Cover and store in refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours. Turn chicken halfway during marinade.
Add everything to Instant Pot. 8 minutes high pressure, then natural release 15 minutes.
Serve with yogurt sauce:
Mix 1/2 cup plain or Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup mayo, 1/2 lemon juiced + lemon zest, 1 minced garlic in a bowl. Optionally, add minced fresh herbs (basil, chive, etc.). Cover. Chill for 4-5 hours.
- 2 lb beef brisket or stew meat or tendon mix, trimmed of fat, cut into 1″ cubes
- 3 lb Chinese turnips, white daikon radish, or carrots; peeled, cut into 1″ cubes
- 3-5 cups chicken broth
- 3.5 oz. ginger, thickly sliced
- 5 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 bean curd sticks, soaked in water 2 hours and cut into 1.5″ pieces
- 10 shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted, stemmed and sliced, with liquid reserved
- 2 licorice slices 甘草片
- 1 tsao ko cardamon (Amomum tsaoko) 草果
- 1 dried tangerine peel
- 1 cinnamon stick (½ of it’s fresh)
- 1 star anise
- 3 dashes white pepper powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 tsp Szechuan peppercorn
- 3.5 oz / 100g Chu Hou sauce
- 5g five-spice powder
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 100 ml shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Lightly flour the beef cubes and sear on all sides until light brown. Add to crockpot with the cubed turnip/daikon/carrot.
- Sauté the shallots, garlic, ginger until fragrant.
- Add the aromatics ingredients for a quick sauté.
- Add the sauce ingredients, stir in 3 cups chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add boiling sauce to crockpot. Now add remaining boiling chicken broth to crockpot until ingredients are covered.
- Cook for 2 hours on high. Add the bean curd sticks. Continue cooking for 4 more hours, or until beef is tender. Let sit overnight for best flavor.
For Instant Pot: add 0.5 cup of the shiitake mushroom liquid instead of 3-5 cups broth. Pressure cook beef, mushrooms, liquid, sauce and aromatics on High for 30 minutes. Remove beef. Pressure cook radish/carrots and bean curd on High for 10 minutes. Combine everything together.