1 ½ oz. bourbon
1 oz. Campari
1 oz. sweet vermouth
- 1 ½ ounces Campari
- ½ ounce Tanqueray gin
- ¼ ounce Cynar
- ¼ ounce Fernet Branca
- 1 ounce Dolin Blanc Vermouth
- 15 drops orange bitters (Fee’s, Regan’s, or a mix)
- 3 orange twists
Fill a mixing glass with ice, add Campari, Tanqueray, Cynar, Fernet, vermouth, and bitters. Stir until well chilled and strain into serving glass. Twist orange peel over drink to to express oils and discard.
Good on tacos, Mexican food, etc.
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1.5 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 1.5 cups dry black beans, rinsed
- ½ fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped OR 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 1 ¾ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 9 cups water or broth
- Place dry ingredients in slow cooker. Pour boiling water or broth on top.
- Cook on high for 8 hours.
- Strain beans and reserve liquid. Use immersion blender to mash beans, adding liquid as needed until it’s the consistency you want.
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon regular or light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch sugar
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- Ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Whisk until thoroughly blended.
To make cardamom milk:
Heat up ¾ cup milk with 20 crushed cardamom pods. Cool, then put mixture in fridge to steep overnight.
For the pancakes:
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup cardamom milk
- Bring milk to room temperature. Add 1 tbsp lemon juice. Let it sit for 5 minutes to become “clabbered” milk.
- Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl. Pour cardamom milk into 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Mix yolk with melted butter, then stir into milk mixture. Whisk egg white in large bowl to stiff peaks. Dump wet ingredients into dry ingredients all at once; whisk until just mixed. Quickly fold egg white into batter.
- Meanwhile, heat griddle or large skillet over strong medium-high heat. Brush griddle generously with oil. When water splashed on surface confidently sizzles, spoon batter, about ¼ cup at a time, onto griddle, making sure not to overcrowd. When pancake bottoms are brown and top surface starts to bubble, 2 to 3 minutes, flip cakes and cook until remaining side has browned, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Re-oil the skillet and repeat for the next batch of pancakes.
- Serve with syrup to enhance cardamom flavor.
- One box of firm tofu
- Marinade (below)
- Drain tofu by setting colander on top of a bowl to collect water. Put whole block of tofu in colander, then adding a flat heavy item on top. We use a rectangle glass bowl and add 2 canned soups on top. Drain in fridge for 1 hour to all day.
- Cut tofu into appropriate pieces (either slabs or cubes).
- Marinade in glass bowl for 30 minutes, flip tofu, marinade 30 more minutes. You can marinade overnight as well.
- Bake at 350-400*F for 40 minutes on a wire rack. If not using a wire rack, bake on parchment paper or foil or silicon mat, turning every 10-15 minutes.
- Cool completely if using in salad.
Lemon herb tofu – good for salads
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dried herbs such as rosemary, dill, or oregano
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
Basic Asian – good for salads or stir fry
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 parts gin
- 2 parts St. Germain
- 1 parts freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1-2 parts simple syrup to taste
Shake in shaker with ice.