- 2 lbs of chicken parts
- 2-inch ginger (skin peeled and lightly pounded)
- 4 cloves garlic (lightly pounded)
- 2 stalks scallions (cut into 2-inch lengths)
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 2-inch length)
- 1 dried honey dates
- ½ c. soy sauce
- ¼ c. dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 3 dashes white pepper powder
- 4 oz. rock sugar or white sugar
- 4 cups water
- Bring ingredients, except chicken, to a boil and simmer 10 mins.
- Add chicken to pot. Add more water to cover chicken if needed.
- Bring pot back to boil, cover. Simmer 20 mins.
- Turn off and keep covered for 20 more mins.
Optional: add 1 lb diced daikon or turnip in step 1 to simmer.
Sauce can be reused 2-3 times for new chicken, or soy sauce eggs or tofu.
- 2 lb beef brisket or stew meat or tendon mix, trimmed of fat, cut into 1″ cubes
- 3 lb Chinese turnips, white daikon radish, or carrots; peeled, cut into 1″ cubes
- 3-5 cups chicken broth
- 3.5 oz. ginger, thickly sliced
- 5 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 bean curd sticks, soaked in water 2 hours and cut into 1.5″ pieces
- 10 shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted, stemmed and sliced, with liquid reserved
- 2 licorice slices 甘草片
- 1 tsao ko cardamon (Amomum tsaoko) 草果
- 1 dried tangerine peel
- 1 cinnamon stick (½ of it’s fresh)
- 1 star anise
- 3 dashes white pepper powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 tsp Szechuan peppercorn
- 3.5 oz / 100g Chu Hou sauce
- 5g five-spice powder
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 100 ml shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Lightly flour the beef cubes and sear on all sides until light brown. Add to crockpot with the cubed turnip/daikon/carrot.
- Sauté the shallots, garlic, ginger until fragrant.
- Add the aromatics ingredients for a quick sauté.
- Add the sauce ingredients, stir in 3 cups chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add boiling sauce to crockpot. Now add remaining boiling chicken broth to crockpot until ingredients are covered.
- Cook for 2 hours on high. Add the bean curd sticks. Continue cooking for 4 more hours, or until beef is tender. Let sit overnight for best flavor.
For Instant Pot: add 0.5 cup of the shiitake mushroom liquid instead of 3-5 cups broth. Pressure cook beef, mushrooms, liquid, sauce and aromatics on High for 30 minutes. Remove beef. Pressure cook radish/carrots and bean curd on High for 10 minutes. Combine everything together.
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 3.5 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp grated ginger or ginger powder
- ½ – 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
Whisk together and toss noodles. Refrigerate until chilled.
- One box of firm tofu
- Marinade (below)
- Drain tofu by setting colander on top of a bowl to collect water. Put whole block of tofu in colander, then adding a flat heavy item on top. We use a rectangle glass bowl and add 2 canned soups on top. Drain in fridge for 1 hour to all day.
- Cut tofu into appropriate pieces (either slabs or cubes).
- Marinade in glass bowl for 30 minutes, flip tofu, marinade 30 more minutes. You can marinade overnight as well.
- Bake at 350-400*F for 40 minutes on a wire rack. If not using a wire rack, bake on parchment paper or foil or silicon mat, turning every 10-15 minutes.
- Cool completely if using in salad.
Lemon herb tofu – good for salads
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dried herbs such as rosemary, dill, or oregano
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
Basic Asian – good for salads or stir fry
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water