My favorite dish, only quicker! Modifications made, original recipe from Cooks Illustrated.
- 3- 14-½ oz cans whole peeled tomatoes -OR- diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- salt, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ – ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup high quality vodka
- 12 oz (about 3-¾ cups) penne
- ½ cup heavy cream
- pepper, to taste
- parmesan, for serving
- (optional) sauteed sliced mushrooms, bell pepper, zucchini – any veggie you’d like to add
1. Pulse tomatoes with their juice in a food processor until coarsely ground and no large pieces remain. (Skip this step if using diced tomatoes)
2. Heat oil and saute onion, tomato paste and ½ tsp salt; cook until softened. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes; cook unti fragrant. Stir in tomatoes and gently simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 mins or until tomatoes no longer taste raw.
3. Stir in water and vodka, then add pasta. Cover, increase heat and cook, stirring often and maintaining a vigorous simmer until pasta is done.
4. Stir in cream and heat through; stir in basil and season. Stir in sauteed veggies (optional). Serve hot.