I love lasagna. I’ve been making lasagna for about 10 years and have my own recipe mixed together from favorite flavors and methods from other lasagna recipes.. This weekend I made the best lasagna to date with some methods from Cooks Illustrated (who can do no wrong, in my eyes!). I really dislike ricotta, hence the cottage cheese usage here.
- Enough lasagna noodles to make 4 layers of lasagna in a brownie sized pan
- 16 oz. low fat cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 20 oz. spinach, stemmed and rinsed
- 1 lb. button mushrooms, sliced
- Spaghetti sauce (Prego in a jar is my favorite for lasagna)
- 8 oz. low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- A few tablespoons of parmesan
For the spinach
- Fill a large bowl with ice water, set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add 1 tbsp. salt, add spinach and stir until wilted.
- Drain and immediately add spinach to ice water to stop cooking.
- Drain and squeeze spinach in a towel to remove all excess moisture.
- Chop up spinach.
For the mushrooms
- Sautee mushrooms in some garlic and olive oil until browned and no more liquid is released. This is important to not have a soggy lasagna.
For the cheese
- Add cottage cheese and 2 eggs to food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Mix cheese mixture, spinach and mushrooms in a bowl until combined.
For the lasagna noodles
- If you are using regular lasagna noodles, boil them according to package. If you are using no-boil lasagna noodles, soak them in hot tap water for 5 mins.
- Agitate noodles so they don’t stick together while boiling/soaking.
- Drain and use immediately. If you let them stand, they dry up and stick.
To assemble lasagna
- Spoon a few tbsp of spaghetti sauce on bottom of brownie pan. Shake to evenly coat bottom.
- Add first layer of noodles.
- Evenly cover noodles with some spaghetti sauce.
- Spread 1/3 of cheese mixture over noodles. Sprinkle lightly with a handful of mozzarella.
- Repeat 2-4 2 more times.
- Spread rest of cheese mixture over noodles.
- Cover with remaining layer of noodles.
- Cover noodles with spaghetti sauce, making sure to cover all the edges so noodles don’t dry out.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella until evenly covered. Shake a few tbsp of parmesan over mozzarella.
- Cover tightly with tin foil that has been spray with cooking spray (so the cheese doesn’t stick to it).
- Bake 30 min in 350ºF oven. Remove tin foil and continue baking until cheese is bubbly, 15 min. Let stand 15 min. Serve.