- 2 lbs of chicken parts
- 2-inch ginger (skin peeled and lightly pounded)
- 4 cloves garlic (lightly pounded)
- 2 stalks scallions (cut into 2-inch lengths)
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 2-inch length)
- 1 dried honey dates
- ½ c. soy sauce
- ¼ c. dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 3 dashes white pepper powder
- 4 oz. rock sugar or white sugar
- 4 cups water
- Bring ingredients, except chicken, to a boil and simmer 10 mins.
- Add chicken to pot. Add more water to cover chicken if needed.
- Bring pot back to boil, cover. Simmer 20 mins.
- Turn off and keep covered for 20 more mins.
Optional: add 1 lb diced daikon or turnip in step 1 to simmer.
Sauce can be reused 2-3 times for new chicken, or soy sauce eggs or tofu.