- 150 g/3 oz butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 dl / 6 oz / 0.8 cup sugar
- 1 dl / 472 oz / 0.6 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 dl /6 oz / 1.6 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 dl / 6.7 fl. oz / 0.8 cup sour cream, double cream or buttermilk
- 4 dl / 3.8 oz / 1 cup marmalade
Heat the oven to 175 C/350F. Grease and dust with breadcrumbs a midsize sponge cake dish. Melt the rest of the butter and let cool slightly. In a bowl, whisk the and the sugar and dark brown sugar until porous, using an electric mixer if you have one handy.
Mix the dry ingredients. Blend them into the egg mixture together with the sour cream / double cream / buttermilk and marmalade until smooth. Tip into the cake dish. Bake in the lower oven for 50-65 minutes until it feels dry. Tent with foil for the final minutes if needed.