- 10 red potatoes (~ 2lb)
- 1 small onion
- 200-400g salmon (2 pieces of Costco salmon) sliced in half flat (so you have 4 flat pieces), then in 4 pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
1. Slice potatoes evenly (use food processer slicer), cook in boiling water for for 5 minutes, then drain.
2. Slice onion thinly. Sauté onion until soft.
3. In an oiled oven-proof dish, layer in this order: ½ potatoes, ½ onions, salmon, ½ onions, ½ potatoes. Salt and pepper as you go.
4. Pour mixed eggs and heavy cream on top.
5. In oven 400 degrees until potatoes are fully cooked, around 45m.
6. Let cool for 5m before serving.
Adjusted for extra sauce
- 5 lb boneless beef chuck-eye roast, cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 medium onions, chopped fine
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken or beef broth
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into 1 in pieces (1 ½ to 2 inches if cooking longer than 10 hours)
- 1 lb parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 in pieces (1 ½ to 2 inches if cooking longer than 10 hours)
- 1 lb red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 in pieces (1 ½ to 2 inches if cooking longer than 10 hours)
- 1 ½ tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp Minute tapioca
- 2 cups frozen peas, set out to thaw
1. Dry beef with paper towels then season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in large skillet over med high heat until just smoking, add half of beef and brown on all sides about 8 min. Transfer to slow cooker and repeat with remaining beef.
2. Add 1 Tbsp oil, onions and ¼ tsp salt to the empty skillet and cook until golden brown about 6 min. Add tomato paste and cook stirring well for 2 minutes. Add broth and soy sauce, bring to simmer and transfer to slow cooker insert.
3. Toss carrots, parsnips, potatoes ½ tsp thyme and remaining 1 Tbsp oil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Wrap vegetables in a foil packet that will fit in the slow cooker, folding over the seam to trap steam. Stir bay leaves and tapioca into slow cooker with the meat and onion mixture. Set the vegetable packet on top of beef.
4. Set the slow cooker to high and cover. Cook for 6-7 hours. (Or cook on low for 10-11 hours)
5. Transfer vegetable packet to a plate. Open and pour vegetables and juices into the stew. Add remaining 1 tsp thyme and peas. Let stand until the peas are heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 2-3 carrots, diced
- 1-2 celery stalks, diced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried (crushed) pepper flakes
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes (juices included)
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 1 lb. firm white fish (such as tilapia), cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ lb. medium shrimp, shelled
- Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat.
2. Add the onion, garlic, red bell pepper and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions and peppers are tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
3. Add the oregano and chile flakes, and cook for 1 minute. Add the parsley and white wine, and cook for 1 additional minute.
4. Add the tomatoes and vegetable broth, and bring to a simmer. Cover and low simmer 10-15 minutes.
5. Add the tilapia pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fish is almost cooked through, about 4 minutes.
6. Add the shrimp and continue to simmer until the shrimp is barely cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons peeled and minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
Combine ingredients. Store in a cool place.