- 1 ½ pounds firm, ripe tomatoes, cut into 3/8-inch dice (about 3 cups)
- ½ cup minced red onion **
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (about ½ teaspoon) **
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves **
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 2 – 6 teaspoons lime juice from 1 to 2 limes
- Granulated sugar to taste (up to 1 teaspoon)
** can be chopped in food processor
1. Set large colander in large bowl. Place tomatoes in colander and let drain 30 minutes. As tomatoes drain, layer onion, garlic, and cilantro on top. Shake colander to drain off excess tomato juice. Discard juice.
2. Transfer contents of colander to empty bowl. Add salt, pepper, and 2 teaspoons lime juice; toss to combine. Taste and add sugar and additional lime juice to taste, if needed.