To make cardamom milk:
Heat up ¾ cup milk with 20 crushed cardamom pods. Cool, then put mixture in fridge to steep overnight.
For the pancakes:
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup cardamom milk
- Bring milk to room temperature. Add 1 tbsp lemon juice. Let it sit for 5 minutes to become “clabbered” milk.
- Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl. Pour cardamom milk into 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Mix yolk with melted butter, then stir into milk mixture. Whisk egg white in large bowl to stiff peaks. Dump wet ingredients into dry ingredients all at once; whisk until just mixed. Quickly fold egg white into batter.
- Meanwhile, heat griddle or large skillet over strong medium-high heat. Brush griddle generously with oil. When water splashed on surface confidently sizzles, spoon batter, about ¼ cup at a time, onto griddle, making sure not to overcrowd. When pancake bottoms are brown and top surface starts to bubble, 2 to 3 minutes, flip cakes and cook until remaining side has browned, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Re-oil the skillet and repeat for the next batch of pancakes.
- Serve with syrup to enhance cardamom flavor.