- 2 lb beef brisket or stew meat or tendon mix, trimmed of fat, cut into 1″ cubes
- 3 lb Chinese turnips, white daikon radish, or carrots; peeled, cut into 1″ cubes
- 3-5 cups chicken broth
- 3.5 oz. ginger, thickly sliced
- 5 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 bean curd sticks, soaked in water 2 hours and cut into 1.5″ pieces
- 10 shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted, stemmed and sliced, with liquid reserved
- 2 licorice slices 甘草片
- 1 tsao ko cardamon (Amomum tsaoko) 草果
- 1 dried tangerine peel
- 1 cinnamon stick (½ of it’s fresh)
- 1 star anise
- 3 dashes white pepper powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 tsp Szechuan peppercorn
- 3.5 oz / 100g Chu Hou sauce
- 5g five-spice powder
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 100 ml shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Lightly flour the beef cubes and sear on all sides until light brown. Add to crockpot with the cubed turnip/daikon/carrot.
- Sauté the shallots, garlic, ginger until fragrant.
- Add the aromatics ingredients for a quick sauté.
- Add the sauce ingredients, stir in 3 cups chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add boiling sauce to crockpot. Now add remaining boiling chicken broth to crockpot until ingredients are covered.
- Cook for 2 hours on high. Add the bean curd sticks. Continue cooking for 4 more hours, or until beef is tender. Let sit overnight for best flavor.
For Instant Pot: add 0.5 cup of the shiitake mushroom liquid instead of 3-5 cups broth. Pressure cook beef, mushrooms, liquid, sauce and aromatics on High for 30 minutes. Remove beef. Pressure cook radish/carrots and bean curd on High for 10 minutes. Combine everything together.